Friday, September 25, 2009

Halloween Staple


Every family has their staple decorations. For my family this Haunted House was a Halloween staple. My mother painted it at her ceramics/break from my crazy kids class. Whenever I think of Halloween I immediately think of this Haunted House with its soft orange light (which I believe is the same bulb from my childhood). So you can imagine how thrilled I am that my mother has passed it on to me. Claire and I sat and stared at it the other day and talked about all of its details. We talked about the jack o lanterns with their silly faces, the silly ghost in the doorway, and the cracked windows that let out just a little bit of that soft orange light. Hopefully this will be passed down to her someday and when she thinks of Halloween this will be her
Halloween staple. Soooo.... what's your Halloween staple?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks for reminding me to get out my halloween gear! Cute story! I guess my staple is having little gourds all over the house. Love it.

amy said...

OMG - my staple is the exact same thing!! It sits at my moms house and has a 4 different color blinking lights on it. She also took ceramics" I think it is like our book club. We had little men that when with it. The werewolf has a cracked ear, and there is a ghostand a pumpkin head man. All the grankids live it too!! We were allowed to play with the little men. You just made me so happy!!!

Anonymous said...

We have almost the same staple too! It is a tad different style house but has the same ghost guy at the front door. It also has a tiny graveyard that the boys love setting up. Mrs. Braunscheidel made ours which makes it so special.
I love your staple...I am tempted to show my boys your post but I need to wait a day or two until I am ready to deal with their constant need to decorate. Jack starts bursting at the "Halloween is Coming" seams the minute the dollar store brings out the halloween decorations in late July! ( He did talk me into a set of glitter covered skulls at TJMaxx back in August...damn it, he knows I'm a sucker for glitter!) Tammy B