Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Apple Picking On Hookie Day

Last Friday Claire had off of school so me, Mark, and Oliver all played hookie and we went apple picking!  The weather originally called for super cold temperatures and rain but it ended up being a beautiful day.  There is something magical about playing hookie.  It's not like a Saturday or a Sunday or even a vacation day....it's more like a snowday.  It's a free day.  It's a Hookie Day.  A day to do whatever you want, with no rushing around.  It is a more relaxing day.  My God, even the sun shines differently on a Hookie Day.  Maybe it's because I spend the entire day thinking, "Oh, right now I would be doing calendar."  or "Right now we would be at lunch."  Who knows.  All I know is everyone deserves a good Hookie Day.  I sure did enjoy mine.  It was so nice to just be with my family with no worries, no rushing around, and no commitments.  Just me and my perfect little family.  It was a perfect Hookie Day.
Me and my babies on Hookie Day.
I can't believe how big Claire is getting.  Her and Mark did a great job scoping out the trees and picking just the right ones.
Oliver used his usual "work smart, not hard" motto and found a tree just his size and picked about 1,000 apples off of it.
He did manage to grab a few apples from some of the higher trees.
Claire made sure that she got the biggest apple from the highest point possible.
 I was the only one who wanted the green apples.   But after a while Claire agreed to help me pick some.
I thought this was the coolest thing!  This apple actually grew this way!  The stem is attached at the bottom.  Mark and Oliver didn't think too much of it but Claire and I were blown away!
Claire had a blast apple picking but I am pretty sure that she loved the animals even more.
She buddied up with the farm dog and she followed Claire around for a while.  It was really sweet, when we were leaving the dog actually followed Claire up to the car to say good bye.  Needless to say, Claire loved that.
 Once we had all of our stuff, we loaded up our loot.
Then we worked together as a team to take it to the farmer to pay for it.
Oliver really enjoyed apple picking but I am pretty sure the highlight of his day was pulling the wagon.
He actually pulled it all the way back to the car, all by himself with no help!  I can't believe how old these two are!  I know, I know I say it all the time!  But click HERE to see the first time we all went apple picking together and you will see what I mean!
After apple picking we had to go to Canada to pick up Mark's race packet for his marathon on Sunday.  While we were there we decided to have a quick lunch at Margaritaville!  The kids absolutely love this place!  Oliver loved wearing his pirate hat!
And Mark did too!!  
Claire loved the whole place.

Overall, it was a perfect day!  The kind of day that I know I will remember for a long time!  We just had a great time and enjoyed being together.  There was no rushing around or trying to get 1,000 things done.  Just us hanging out together.  It was the perfect Hookie Day.
I had to add this in.  Here is Claire next to a picture of Mark when he was a few years older than Claire.  Someone looks just like her Daddy!!!!

No comments: