Friday, April 4, 2014

My Baby's First Tooth


Today Claire lost her first tooth! I cannot believe it! Her tooth started wiggling about a week ago but we haven't thought too much about it since then. Well, today while I was making dinner Claire came down stairs in a fresh clean pair of jeans. I asked her to go and change back into her sweatpants. I explained that there was no reason for her to dirty a fresh pair of pants at this point in the day. She was not very happy with me but she stomped away obeying her mother like a good girl. Then about 5 minutes later I hear her screaming and crying. I turned around (thinking she was still whining about having to change) to find her standing in front of me with her hands in the air, screaming with blood dripping out of her mouth!  I calmly put her up on the counter and called Mark from the family room. I thought that she fell and hit her mouth and I was worried that she bit her tongue. Oh no, that was not it at all. Apparently she was so mad at me about having to go change that when she took off her jeans, she bit them! This leading to her wiggly tooth to be jammed sideways in her mouth. Now, I can handle just about anything. You can puke on me, blow boogers on me, bleed all over me, or have a bone sticking out of your leg and I am just fine with it. But you wiggle a tooth at me and my knees go out!  So Daddy came to the rescue and yanked it out. Once Claire calmed down she was thrilled that she lost her first tooth! Then about 20 minutes later she got all emotional again. When I asked her what was wrong she told me, "I feel so bad I was so mad at you!" We had a long talk about how it is ok to be mad, it is just how you handle your anger that matters.  After that she was back to being thrilled about her first lost tooth!

Now Oliver on the other hand was a total wreck! He just kept yelling, "Somebody hold me!" He was trying so hard to be tough for his Sissy, but he was so scared! While Mark removed Claire's wobbly tooth, I explained to Oliver what was happening.  I explained that your teeth get wobbly and fall out and then new grown up teeth grow in. And he just kept saying to Claire (through his own tears),"It's ok Claire! You are going to be a grown up!"
So overall,  it was a pretty exciting night here at the Komo house!  I still can't believe Claire is old enough to have lost her tooth :(
 Here is my baby when she first got her teeth!  She loved to show them off!  We would say, "Show us your teeth Claire!" and she would make this face.
 As you can see, she still loves showing off those teeth :)

Once we ate dinner and watched Harry Potter (Mark has been reading it to Claire every night before bed and they finally finished and now she can watch the movie) it was time to put that tooth under her pillow for the tooth fairy.
First we cleaned it up and put it in a special box.
 Then Claire wrote the Toothfairy a special letter.
With some beautiful pictures on it.  In case you are wondering, that are a mouth full of teeth in the lower left hand corner.
Then we sealed up the box and headed upstairs.
Claire put the box in her bed,
then put her pillow on top!  We are all set for the Toothfairy to make her first visit.  Claire had the brilliant idea to put the tooth under the pillow that she is NOT sleeping on and I LOVED that idea!  I wonder what the Toothfairy will bring!

Then Claire read me some Junie B. Jones and went to sleep.  I seriously don't know where the time has gone.  While Claire was reading to me I just kept thinking, "My baby is reading a chapter book to ME while I lay in her bed. And under her pillow is her tooth!  Just yesterday I was reading to her and giving her tylenol because her teeth were just coming in!" I love her more everyday, if that is even possible.  I am so lucky to have this special little angel as my daughter, even if she is missing some teeth.

 

No comments: